I have been taken by such beauties of which I am not fit to look upon. Yet I have done so and in so doing I have begun and lost a battle. A battle between the stars and me. Not a battle that you might see in films or in modern day warfare but one that can only be compared to those battles of the civil war era and the proceeding times. This battle is the kind which, from the beginning, has only one hopeful victor. This victor is chosen by sheer size and number, not by strength or strategy. For in these battles of old, which were lacking in hand-to-hand combat, the victory was taken when one side had exhausted their resource of men. In my battle my resources lay not in men but in beauty. From the beginning there was but one hopeful victor. Between the stars and my mind, only the stars could have any chance of victory. My mind could not contain the beauty of the stars, much less succeed it. So the prize went to the stars. Though in this battle there was neither bitterness of defeat nor boastful winning. There was only awe and wonder as the stars gently took me and I allowed myself to be taken. In the moment all seemed natural but nothing more natural than the stars and their beauty. They seemed to be the epitome of nature and beauty. All worldly wars seemed to be suspended and the universe seemed to accept peace as for the first time in a long period of yearning for peace. All seemed to relax, to let down its guard, and to not only have peace but to become peace itself. It was as if in the stars' victory and the coming of peace in our battle of beauty, nature had won and peace had been restored to all of creation. Something greater than peace had actually occurred there on the battlefield though; I had realized that the beauty of the stars was more than nature. When I had seen these unfathomable beauties, I had seen the love of God in the only way humans can understand it. That is peace.
6.19.2006
Of Stars, Peace, and Love
I have been taken by such beauties of which I am not fit to look upon. Yet I have done so and in so doing I have begun and lost a battle. A battle between the stars and me. Not a battle that you might see in films or in modern day warfare but one that can only be compared to those battles of the civil war era and the proceeding times. This battle is the kind which, from the beginning, has only one hopeful victor. This victor is chosen by sheer size and number, not by strength or strategy. For in these battles of old, which were lacking in hand-to-hand combat, the victory was taken when one side had exhausted their resource of men. In my battle my resources lay not in men but in beauty. From the beginning there was but one hopeful victor. Between the stars and my mind, only the stars could have any chance of victory. My mind could not contain the beauty of the stars, much less succeed it. So the prize went to the stars. Though in this battle there was neither bitterness of defeat nor boastful winning. There was only awe and wonder as the stars gently took me and I allowed myself to be taken. In the moment all seemed natural but nothing more natural than the stars and their beauty. They seemed to be the epitome of nature and beauty. All worldly wars seemed to be suspended and the universe seemed to accept peace as for the first time in a long period of yearning for peace. All seemed to relax, to let down its guard, and to not only have peace but to become peace itself. It was as if in the stars' victory and the coming of peace in our battle of beauty, nature had won and peace had been restored to all of creation. Something greater than peace had actually occurred there on the battlefield though; I had realized that the beauty of the stars was more than nature. When I had seen these unfathomable beauties, I had seen the love of God in the only way humans can understand it. That is peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment